An Opportunity for Families to Worship Together
Families who are on campus for two services are encouraged to take their elementary students to the worship service with them. Though this may sound like a challenge at first, we are excited about what God is doing.
When children do not attend the Worship Service they become disconnected from the overall congregation. They miss baptism, Lord's Supper, and other aspects of the church worshiping together. Plus, we as parents have the primary responsibility for teaching our kids how to worship.
Here are some practical tips (listen to the teaching for more details!):
- Realize that it is not going to always be easy, but it is worth it.
- Eliminate as many sources of stress for Sunday morning as possible.
- Pick out clothes, shoes, accessories, etc... on Saturday night.
- Have Bible bags, diaper bags, etc... packed on Saturday night.
- Plan to leave your house 15 minutes earlier than you really have to.
- Make a required bathroom stop before going into the worship center.
Set these expectations up front and stick to them:
- Kids will not leave the worship center unless it is an emergency.
- Kids will at least stand up during the worship part.
- Kids will be quiet during the sermon.
- encourage them to sing.
- Model worship yourself.
- It is all right if they need to stand on the chairs to see the screens and stage.
- Give younger kids something to draw or color. Encourage them to still listen.
- Older kids can write down the notes from the screen.
- Do not allow sleeping or playing something that will totally disengage them.
- Talk about the service and the sermon.
- Ask questions about the sermon.
- Encourage them to ask you questions.